Wine Selection Help for Party

• Author
    ryano
    Participant

I am hosting a bar mitzvah party and looking to buy wine for 60 adults. We are serving leg of lamb with garlic, tapenade and mediterranean herbs. for the dinner and party of four hours I believe I need about 12 bottles of red and 8 bottles of white wine from some of the calculation apps that make suggestions. I am also serving beer and liquor. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to wines and am looking for suggestions on what to buy. I am in Columbus OH if that makes a difference in selection at stores. I would like to keep the pricing under $15 a bottle if possible.

WineNavigator
    Participant

I just bought a Rioja on sale at my Costco in Mass. Campo Veijo, Garnacha 2017. It was on sale for $5.84 a bottle. Normally retails for $10. Grenacha will go well with the lamb and is a crowd pleasing wine that drinks very well.

Costco has several Albarinos (white) for about $12 that will go super well. The Rias Baixas Deusa Nai Albarino 2016 is $12 at Costco, usually $16.

Enjoy. (Yes I have a preference for Spainish wines especially when looking for well priced crowd pleasers that I would like to drink as well.)

Editor
    Keymaster

Those are great recommendations from WineNavigator.
    I’d also look at French Rhone reds, like a Cotes du Rhone or the Kirkland Giogondas if it pops up again soon. Plenty of good buys at Costco there under $15. A Bordeaux from Costco might be nice too.
    Also, look at Chianti Classico and Sangiovese from Italy. Costco usually stocks several to choose from.
    For whites, we’ve seen some good varietals hit stores that aren’t your standard California Chardonnay, although is fine too. Look for Alberino as previous poster mentioned, we’ve seen Italian Gavi and Vermentino too, which are always good picks, and not too expensive.
    You might also want to consider the Kirkland Prosecco, since bubbly is so popular right now. Plus it’s only $6 (look for the purple)
    Hope that helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.