Kirkland Signature Toscana

• Author
    Editor
    Keymaster

Keep hearing reports of a Kirkland Toscana wine but have yet to find it? Has anyone found it? Tried it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes! It is at the Dallas COSTCO. I bought a bottle but havent tried it uet. My brother said its fantastic. I’m planning on opening once back from travel later this week and see if it’s worth a few more bottles.

Editor
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info. I’m going to make a stop this week and see if I can find it, along with the Kirkland Rose. Fingers crossed…

Joe_O
    Participant

Picked up a couple of bottles at Apex, NC store this weekend. It needs some time to open up but once it does I found it elegant and balanced. Definitely a nice value at $14. The winemaker is Alexander Van Beek of Caiarossa Vineyards, and the Tuscan is a blend of Sangiovese, Cab, and Merlot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I picked up a couple of bottles from Maplewood (Minneapolis) COSTCO store. Haven’t tried it yet…Maybe tonight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found it this past week at the Cumberland (Atlanta) Costco – purchased one bottle to try. Great value in this bottle! Nice flavors with good acidity. To me it leans more towards the Chianti style rather than a fruitier Super Tuscan. We went back to buy another half case;) Not sure how much their stock is – it was only in one of the small wooden bins on display…Cheers!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes! I opened a bottle last night. At first it is very dry and dusty but after 30 min it opens up very nicely. It is a very elegant wine, nice tannins, a little bit of fruit but more dusty and herby.

Editor
    Keymaster

Finally found it and agree, a good value. We went 88 points on it. Here’s the review.

Joe_O
    Participant

We have a part time wine “ambassador” in the Apex, NC store and fortunately he is knowledgeable and well informed. Yesterday we were discussing the Kirkland Toscana and he directed me to the Villa Pillo Borgoforte Toscana 2015. It’s varietally the same makeup as the Kirkland (though I’m unsure of respective percentages) and sells for 8.99. It also carries a James Suckling rating of 92 pts fwiw. I just finished tasting the two wines side by side, and I found them quite similar though the Kirkland has a slightly softer elegance while the Villa Pillo has a firmer structure. While I preferred the Kirkland by a hair, the $5 price difference makes the Villa Pillo an attractive alternative.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s interesting you should mention the Villa Pillo…my wife and I picked one up recently as well from Total Wine….we couldn’t finish our glasses and it’s now cooking wine. For us, this Kikrland Toscana is quite drinkable and enjoyable – especially for a pizza night or something not complicated as Andrew suggests in his review.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.