Good, Reasonable Red Burgundy

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Douro Red 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

MassWineGuy
    Participant

Burgundy, both red and white, is close to my heart and may be my top favorite. The downside is that once you’ve been hit between the eyes with Burgundy’s magic you often need to refinance your mortgage to afford it.

Enter the basic Bourgogne appellation. Here you’ll find either rouge or blanc, often made by major winemakers who also produce mega$$$ wines. As in any area, there are boat loads of awful Burgundies at all prices. When you find a good one, buy, buy and buy. Especially bourgogne rouge or blanc.

I found a good rouge last weekend; the 2016 Thevenet & Fils “Les Clos.” I believe it was about $16 at my local Costco in Danvers, MA. Money well spent. I’ve paid in the upper $20’s for far worse Pinot Noir.

When just opened it seemed undistinguished. But after a few minutes there was bright red fruit, some crushed berry aromas, tame yet tasty tannin, and a good mouthfeel and finish. Impressive.

The importer is Neal Rosenthal, a fellow New Yorker. Any wine with his name on it is worth tasting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Douro Red
    Participant

I’ve got a wine fridge full of red Burgundy, but I”m always on the lookout for bargains. This label hasn’t appeared at my local Costco, but I’ll be on the lookout. Thanks for the tip.

MassWineGuy
    Participant

Douro, when you find some, I’d be very interested to learn what you think of it.

Douro Red
    Participant

This Burgundy hasn’t appeared at my local Costco in TN, but yesterday I noticed they have Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin. I think it is the 2015 vintage and it was north of 30 bucks. I should have taken a photo to remind me. The only rating on the sign was a 90 by Suckling. For him that’s a low score, so I didn’t pick up a bottle. Have you seen it in MA and tried a bottle?

Douro Red
    Participant

Stopped by my local Costco today and took a photo of the Gevrey-Chambertin. It’s the 2013 vintage and costs $41.99.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.