CostcoWineBlog.com – Finding Costco’s best wines Forums Latest Finds 2016 KS Châteauneuf-du-Pape & 2013 KS Rioja Reserva

2016 KS Châteauneuf-du-Pape & 2013 KS Rioja Reserva

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  srh 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

chuck
    Participant

I picked these two wines up from my local warehouse today. 2016 Kirkland Signature Châteauneuf-du-Pape [777662] was $17.99 in the wood bins. I picked up two and left three on the bin. 2013 Kirkland Signature Rioja Reserva [917056] was $6.99 on the shelves.

Has anyone tasted these yet?

srh
    Participant

I also picked this up in San Diego on May 17th. I’m not expecting much as the price is down $2 from the ’15. We may very well try it alongside a ’14 Chateau Maucoil CdP, $27.99, which MAY only be available in So CA as the importer is in L.A.

ucf dad
    Participant

I haven’t had the CDP but I did pick up the 2013 Rioja. In my un-expert opinion, this is the best value at Costco. I have never had a $7.00 wine that I went back and bought a case of later. Great everyday bottle. Not going to replace my Russian River Pinot or Napa cabs, but great wine and value.

chuck
    Participant

@srh, I’ve read 2016 had generally good growing seasons for both the southern and northern Rhône valleys. I don’t know that much about growing seasons and vintages but hopefully this is a decent value. My wife picked up a 2015 Caves Saint-Pierre CdP Le Fiacre du Pape from Trader Joe for about $20. That’ll be my basis for comparison.

@ucf dad, I agree. I tried the Rioja and definitely liked it enough to get more. I’m surprised that a wine aged 36 months can be sold for $6.99 per bottle. I don’t know where it’s been in the supply chain for the remaining year plus but it still tastes good.

Editor
    Keymaster

Great discussion on these two. I’m surprised to hear the Kirkland CDP is $2 less than prior years. Hope it’s good juice as they can be hit or miss; has anyone tried it yet?
    The new KS Riojs (2013 vintage) is indeed a great buy at $7. Review posting on Wed, but I enjoyed it a bit more than year’s past even.

Joe_O
    Participant

Indeed. After the legendary 2013 KS CdP (which I’ve unfortunately drunk through) the last couple of vintages have been disappointing. Perhaps the $2 reduction is an attempt to ignite interest? Trying to be optimistic, lol.

Editor
    Keymaster

Funny, our tastes must run pretty similar. I’ve reviewed the past 8 vintages of the Kirkland Cdp and I rated the ‘13 the highest.
    Last two years have been lackluster but let’s hope that turns around with this new. Here is my write up on the last one. http://costcowineblog.com/2015-kirkland-signature-chateauneuf-du-pape/

srh
    Participant

On cellartracker I’ve posted my notes comparing the ’16 Kirkland CdP to the ’14 Chateau Maucoil CdP that I also purchased @ COSTCO. Though I no longer like using the 100 pt system, for me the Kirkland was in the 86-89 range depending on HOW it cellars out — & I’d want to give it time as it’s not at all whimpy. On the other hand, the Ch. Maucoil was enough of a “finished” product that I felt it was a SOLID 90.

Soooooo… maybe the Kirkland IS on the upswing? [My only previous exposure had been the ’11.]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.